Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Both Patience and Pocketbook Are Worn Thin by Grandkids


I recently moved back home to help take care of my mom. We get along well, but there's one major issue. She has to care for my brother's four kids every day and is pretty much raising them. Because they are loud, whiny, rude and demanding, my mother snaps and yells at them constantly. It makes life miserable for everyone.

My brother refuses to accept the fact that he's taking advantage of our mom financially and emotionally. He has plenty to say about me moving back home, though, even though I help to pay bills and contribute. Never once has he offered to make a dent in the huge grocery bill his children ring up, and he complains about how much gas Mom uses toting them to the half-dozen or so programs he has them in.

I have PTSD, and the situation is taking its toll on me to the point that I can no longer be around the kids or my mom. Is there anything I can do? Or must I just accept that this is how life will be if I choose to stay home? -- TAKING A TOLL IN NORTH CAROLINA

DEAR TAKING A TOLL: Have a talk with your mother about her short fuse with the grandchildren, and figure out why it's happening. If she is so stressed or sick that she can't manage them, correct them and give them positive reinforcement, they should not be under her supervision.

Your brother should not expect his mother to foot the bill for feeding and transporting them. If your mother can't make him understand that, then the two of you should make clear that if he doesn't pony up, his children will have to go to day care rather than Grandma's.

And last, because this unpleasant family dynamic is taking a toll on you, you must decide if you want to remain in that household under those conditions, or if coming home to take care of your mother was a mistake you should rectify.


번역

I recently moved back home to help take care of my mom. 

나는 최근 어머님을 돌보기 위해 집으로 이사 들어왔습니다.



동사 두개를 이어 쓰려면 "To 부정사"나 "현재분사"를
사용해야 하는 것이 원칙입니다.
하지만 몇가지 동사는 예외적으로 원형을 쓸수 있습니다.
help도 그중 하나 입니다.

"To 부정사"를 쓰는 경우,
I ran to catch the last train.
나는 마지막 기차를 잡기위해 달렸다.
He swore to tell me the truth.
그는 내게 진실을 말하겠다고 약속했습니다.
She loves to watch sad movies.
그녀는 슬픈 영화보는 걸 아주 좋아합니다.

"현재분사 (동사+ing)"를 쓰는 경우,
The finished showing the demonstration.
그들은 시범 보이는 일을 마쳤습니다.
He enjoys fishing in the river.
그는 강에서 낚시하는 것을 즐깁니다.
She lay looking up at the clouds.
그녀는 구름을 올려다 보며 누워 있었습니다.

help의 경우,
The students helped push the car.
학생들이 차 미는 것을 도와주었습니다.
Gargling with salt water helps stop coughing.
소금물로 가글링 하는 것이 기침을 멈추게 하는데 도움이 됩니다.
He was willing to help pay for your college education.
그는 당신의 학비 지불을 도와줄 의사가 있었습니다.


We get along well, but there's one major issue. 

우리는 잘 지내고 있지만 큰 문제가 하나 있습니다.

She has to care for my brother's four kids every day 

and is pretty much raising them. 
엄마는 매일 오빠의 네 자녀를 돌봐야 하는데
사실은 아주 키우는 것과 마찬가지 입니다. 



pretty much는 "거의 ~~하다"라는 표현입니다.
아주 영어적인 표현이라 한국말로는 딱히 설명하기가 힘든 감이 있습니다.


The two are pretty much the same.
그 두개는 거의 똑같습니다.
The result was pretty much to be expected.
결과는 거의 기대한 것과 같습니다.
Pretty much every day I have a big bag of popcorn and an apple for lunch.
거의 매일 나는 팝콘 한봉지와 사과 한알을 점심으로 먹습니다.


Because they are loud, whiny, rude and demanding
my mother snaps and yells at them constantly. 
그들이 씨끄럽고 징징거리며 무례하고 요구하는게 많기 때문에
엄마는 계속해서 그들에게 쏘아붙이거나 소리를 지릅니다.



demanding은 동사 demand의 진행형 형태이지만
그냥 형용사로서 "요구가 많은"이란 뜻으로 많이 사용됩니다.

I am sorry I am so demanding.
요구가 많아 미안합니다.
Their son is quite demanding at times,
그집 아들은 가끔 너무 때를 씁니다.
He's the most demanding director I ever worked with.
그는 같이 일해 본 지휘자 중 가장 요구가 많은 사람입니다.


It makes life miserable for everyone.

그게 모두의 생활을 비참하게 만듭니다.
My brother refuses to accept the fact that he's taking advantage of 
our mom financially and emotionally. 
오빠는 엄마를 경제적으로나 감정적으로 이용해 먹고 
있다는 사실은 받아들이려 하지 않습니다.



take advantage of
"~~을 이용하다"라는 뜻으로 좋은 의미로도
나쁜의미로도 사용할수 있습니다.


Let's take advantage of the long weekend.
긴 주말을 이용해 보도록 하자.
You should take advantage of this chance.
당신은 이 기회를 잘 이용해야 합니다.
She took full advantage of the opportunity.
그녀는 그 기회를 충분히 이용했다.


He has plenty to say about me moving back home, 

though, even though I help to pay bills and contribute. 
오빠는 내가 공과금 내는 것을 비롯해 여러가지 도움을 
주고 있지만 집으로 돌아온  것에 대해 불만이 많습니다.

Never once has he offered to make a dent in the huge 
grocery bill his children ring up, and he complains about 
how much gas Mom uses toting them to the half-dozen or so 
programs he has them in.
그는 한번도 아이들이 구입한 물건에 대해 돈을 지불하겠다고 
말한적이 없으며 엄마가 아이들을 대여섯개 과외활동에
데려다 주는데 차기름 너무 많이 쓴다고 불평합니다.


ring up
영어권 국가에 살지 않으면 알기쉽지않은 표현입니다.
ring이란 금전등록기에서 나는 소리를 의미합니다.

손님이 "이것도 계산하셨나요?"라고 점원에게 물어볼때
"Did you ring this in?"이라고 합니다.  




or so
about나 around와 비슷한 "약"이란 뜻입니다.
하지만 해당 명사 뒤에 오는 것이 특징입니다.

I have around 100 books.
I have about 100 books.
I have 100 books or so.
나는 약 백권의 책을 가지고 있습니다.


I have PTSD, and the situation is taking its toll on me 
to the point that I can no longer be around the kids or my mom. 
나는 스트레스 장애를 가지고 있으며 그 상황이 워낙 심해
더이상 아이들과 엄마와 함께 있지 못할 상황입니다.

Is there anything I can do? 

내가 할수 있는 일이 뭐 있을까요?

Or must I just accept that this is how life will be 

if I choose to stay home?
아니면 집에 있기로 한 이상
"이게 현실이다”하고 받아들여야 할까요?



Have a talk with your mother about her short fuse 
with the grandchildren, and figure out why it's happening. 
엄마와 손자들에게 화를 잘내는 이유를 얘기해 보세요.
그리고 왜 그런일이 일어나는지 생각해 보세요.

If she is so stressed or sick that she can't manage them, 
correct them and give them positive reinforcement, 
they should not be under her supervision.
만일 엄마가 스트레스가 많고 힘들어 그들을 잘 다룰수 없다면, 
아이들의 생활태도를 고치고 적극적인 재제를 강화하세요, 
아이들은 할머니 관리하에 있어서는 안됩니다.


so 형용사 that
"너무 ~~해서 ~~하다"라는 의미입니다.

I was so sleepy that I couldn't keep my eyes open.
너무 졸려서 눈을 뜰수가 없습니다. 
My sister is so shy that she hides behind my mother.
여동생은 너무 수줍어서 엄마 뒤에 숨습니다. 
It was so dark that we could hardly see.
너무 어두워서 거의 볼수 없었습니다.


Your brother should not expect his mother to foot the bill 
for feeding and transporting them. 
오빠는 어머님께서 아이들을 먹이고 과외활동에 데려다
주는데 필요한  비용을 지불할 것이라고 기대해서는 안됩니다. 

If your mother can't make him understand that, 

then the two of you should make clear that if he doesn't pony up, 
his children will have to go to day care rather than Grandma's.
만일 어머님이 오빠를 이해시키는데 실패하시면. 두분께서 
오빠에게 비용을 지불하지 않으면 아이들은 할머니집이 아닌 
데이케어센터에 보내져야 한다는 것을 분명히 해야 합니다.

And last, because this unpleasant family dynamic is 

taking a toll on you, you must decide if you want to remain 
in that household under those conditions, 
or if coming home to take care of your mother was a 
mistake you should rectify.
마지막으로 이러한 가정문제가 당신에게 피해가 된다면
이런 환경에 처한 가정에서 계속 머무르고 싶은지, 또한 어머님을 
돌보러 집에 돌아온것이 다시 생각해 봐야할 실수가 
아니었는지 결정해야 합니다. 


take a toll on
일상생활에서는 좀처럼 쓰이지 않으며
신문기사에서나 볼수 있는 표현입니다.

This has really taken a toll on her.
이것이 그녀에게 심한 피해를 입히고 있다.
His job is taking its toll on him. He needs a rest. 
그의 직업이 그에게 큰 피해를 입히고 있다. 그는 휴식이 필요하다.
His final visit took a heavy emotional toll on her.
그의 마지막 방문이 그녀에게 큰 상처를 주었다.


No comments:

Post a Comment